Thursday, September 29, 2005

From a father / husband's point of view...

I guess many may ask what I felt in the delivery room? Well, it was a mixture of feelings. Seeing Shirl going through pain at the beginning made me very uneasy. Of course I tried to make things as easy as possible for her. I was relieved when she asked for the epidural because then I knew she would probably feel better later... which of course she did. Could smile for some photos!

Then it was a waiting game. I was restless after a while. I started to pace around the room. The nurses came in periodically to check on Shirl. They told us that it would take some time for the baby to come, so Shirl and I decided that I should go eat downstairs. Managed to update a few more friends when I was at the cafe.

Coming back up, I met the doc. He said by 2pm we should see the baby. Boy was I excited then. But we waited till about 4.15pm. By that time, I was getting a little tired from walking around the room and outside. Then the doc appeared to deliver the baby. Well, that was when I really felt a little lost. I held Shirl's hand and with me whispering into Shirl's ear and the encouragement from the nurses and the doc, she pushed and pushed and pushed. Well, the baby came out silently after about 20min or so. It happened so fast..... I was like huh?! Then everything went fast.... nurses cleaned him up, doc stiching and cleaning shirl up. I was like... ok what do I do now? After wrapping the baby up, the nurse dumped Nathaniel into my arms. I was like... ok....then brought it over to Shirl. Shirl looked at him, smiled and then went into recovery mode. I placed Nathaniel down and was stuck in between shirl and Nathaniel not knowing what to do. Imagine that..... not sure what to do??? I was happy of course that both were fine, but its just strange. Everyone left the room except the 3 of us. Shirl was shivering because of the epidural and slept. Nathaniel was like wondering what happened, and I in the middle, blur like sotong. Well, of course things went normal after a while. They wheeled Shirl and Nathaniel to our room, with my family and Shirl's mum and sister in tow.

2 comments:

Sam said...

Great blog! I think little Nat will read this (in the future) and realise how he arrived. This journal is gonna be priceless.

Remember to back up your blog.

Ben_Shirl_Nathaniel said...

Hmmmm... now that is something I do not know how to do - back up the blog. maybe have to do the traditional cut and paste in word?
B