Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Reunion Dinners

The first reunion dinner we had was on Saturday 24th January 2008. It was held at Peter and Chris's place at Tampines. This was for Shirley's side of the family. Michael joined us today and I felt that it was good for him to be there then to be at home alone. Nat is slowly beginning to comprehend things. I had tried to tell him what "Ang Pows" and "Kum" is all about. I do not know if he really understands, but he is able to greet people "Gong Xi Fa Cai", to say thank you when given a red packet and passing it to me to keep after that. He's a smart boy that one.

Here is a photo of Nat giving a red packet to Wai Por on behalf of his parents and receiving one from her too.



The second reunion dinner was for my side and was held on the following night. It was held at my parent's house at Merryn Road. My parents also extended the invitation to my 2 aunts and uncle to join us. As usual, my side is the more subdued family, but the presence of the 2 boys made the atmosphere a little more lively.

The spread at Merryn Road.


"Lo Hei"


Being part of 2 families has exposed me to different type of family dynamics. I had watched other people's families and how each family member relates to others in their families as I was growing up. I watched families in church, friend's families, ex girlfriends etc. Every family is different. I had desires of what my own family should become as it all boils down to how the parents want their family dynamics to be. I guess being brought up in my family, I bring to the table a sense of responsibility, discipline, formality and tradition. Shirley's side is more informal and I like that too. So what should my own family dynamics be like?? Well, a blend of things. I would like my own family traditions, sense of responsibility, discipline, informality, good social skills etc. Sounds a tad challenging doesn't it??

No comments: