Monday, October 03, 2005

Experience / Feeling of a new Mummy

Our boy is 2 weeks old! He never fails to warm my heart every time I see him smile. Yes! He knows how to smile when he was 4 days old.

How time flies, it was 2 weeks ago when I first experienced the first contraction. I think it was around 5am while I was sleeping when I experienced a stomach ache/cramp like sensation. It went away very quickly and I thought nothing of it. It was around 6.30am when Ben was preparing to go to work that I decided to get up and go to the toilet. I was shocked to see blood initially but it gradually dawned on me that it might be the "show" that the lactation consultant was talking about during my antenatal class.

We decided to page the gynae and he returned call within 10 mins although he still sound groggy and asked me to see him at his clinic at 9.30am. We started to do some last minute packing although the gynae didnt mention anything about labour but we were pretty sure that it was "D" day!

I washed my hair and showered while managing the contraction pain which came almost every 5 mins. As Ben still had some outstanding work in the office to be done, we decided to go the MAC at GWC for breakfast before proceeding to the clinic. The contraction became more intense as I was having breakfast and I could hardly sit straight but I forced myself to eat as much as I can as I know that I need whatever energy for later.

We got to the clinic on time and after the gynae checked me, he said I was 3 cm dilated and should make my way to the labour ward. (Pls refer to Ben's post below for more details)

By the time I was lying on the labour bed, the contraction was so intense that I requested for epidural (aka Happy dural according to my gynae) But while waiting for the anesthetist, the nurse noticed the pain I was in and suggested that I inhale the "laughing gas" to alleviate the pain. I did and I didn't want to let go and Ben had to try to pull it off from me a few times.

When the anesthetist finally came, he quickly prepared the necessary and I remembered him saying that I have quite a high pain threshold as I was almost 7cm dilated. While, anyway I was glad that I asked for the epidural as I spent the next 6 hours without much pain and was dozing off on and off.

My gynae came at about lunch time to break my water bag and said that I should be ready to deliver at 2pm. But at 2pm, the nurse checked and said that baby's head has not moved down fully yet and at 3pm, the gynae called to asked the nurse to give me some glucose drip. Slowly, I could feel the contraction coming back but it was still bearable. At about 4pm, the gynae whisked in the labour ward and informed me that I should be ready for delivery. Within 30 mins of pushing, my precious baby came to this world at 4.38pm.

As Ben mentioned in his post, I was shivering badly after the delivery and could hardly remember what happened during the hour rest in the delivery ward. I could only remember the warmth of Baby Nat in my arms when they placed him on me before proceeding to do the weighing and measuring.

I should say that it was quite a pleasant experience for me as the gynae guided me well during the pushing and also with the encouragement from Ben and the mid-wives.

Actually I am still very amazed by the whole pregnacy and birth experience. It is a experience beyond description. Only a mummy can understand and share the feelings. And I am really grateful that Ben has been by my side supporting me despite my demands and mood swings during my pregnancy.

Right now, seeing that baby Nat grows healthily and becoming a fine man is one of my greatest wishes.

No comments: