Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Chapel of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal

Chapel of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal, originally uploaded by benkenobi_lim.

I found out about this Chapel from my granny. She told me that it was in Paris and that I should check it out. I researched it on the Internet. This Chapel is a place visited by mainly pilgrims rather than tourists. When we were there, we noticed many pilgrims and not that many tourists, which suited me fine. We went half an hour before the mass, which was to start at 10.30am on Thursday 25 October 2007.

It all began because a lady by the name of Catherine Laboure, now a saint saw Mother Mary 3 times in 1830. http://chapellenotredamedelamedaillemiraculeuse.com/

St Catherine's life is such an inspiration to me. she did not want to be in the limelight and she did what she had to do with the poor, the sick and the old. She also had a vision of a medal that she told a priest about it. He did not act on it at first, but it was only when Sister Catherine rebuked him, did he bring it up to the archbishop of Paris who saw no reason why the medal should not be struck.

I have attached the website for those of you who would like to read more about the history. All I can say is that, it was really great being there at the spot where the apparitions of Mother Mary took place. And the amazing thing is. St Catherine Laboure's body is at the front of the church to the right side of the altar. She had died in the year 1876. She was laid to rest. in 1933, her body was found still intact, and is now underneath the Virgin of the globe on the right side of the church when one enters the church. Her body is still intact! So amazing!!

We said our own prayers, rosary and bible reflection and stayed on for the French mass. It was great. So serene and peaceful. I wished I could have gone back again, but I believe that one day I would be back again.

No comments: